So I start my days doing a little research on the gin of the day. I try to find something interesting to talk about. Today we struck gold, well kind of... You see the insight to share today almost certainly crosses a line and clearly demonstrates the narrator is juvenile AF. So instead I will try to navigate the richness of this material without being too offensive.....
First thing to know is today's gin is a colourful little number, sporting a vivid shade of blue which softens to a delicate violet when tonic is added, so much so that it is named the 23rd Street Violet Gin in recognition of this standout feature.
So the obvious thing to understand about this gin is what gives it the rich colour. Turns out the colour is all natural and comes from the butterfly pea flower, which the gin is steeped in for 18 hours. All very civilised. So as I was looking up the butterfly pea I noticed it has genus name of Clitoria Ternatea. Mmmm, thats interesting I thought, why would it have a name like that. Well you have the Germans to thank for that, specifically Georg Eberhard Rumphius, who in 1678 decided the anatomical similarity was too much and he just needed to toughen up and call it as he saw it. Since then the name has been formally challenged many times on the grounds of decency, no less than four official protests by the botanist of the time (1807, 1817, 1826 and 1840). Fortunately for us decency did not prevail and we can continue to giggle like teenagers....
So now thats over, lets talk about the gin. Well this one is distilled from sugarcane, and is primarily reliant on Australian botanicals for flavour, including lemon myrtle, finger lime, pepper berry and wattle seed.
Enjoy with the Mediterranean Tonic.
Comments
Post a Comment